Sunday, January 4, 2009

Sausage in Brioche



How can Christmas be over when there are still so many Christmas recipes to try?! My motto is forge ahead; keep baking Christmas goodies until the urge passes. So that's what I'm going to do.
Today's entree came from a book written by one of my very favorite cookbook authors, Susan Branch. If you haven't seen her books, you MUST check them out. They are charming, illustrated with her very own lovely, lovely watercolor paintings.
In Christmas from the Heart of the Home, Susan explains how to make this without a bread machine. I do all my yeast bread baking with a little help from kitchen appliances, so I'll just give you my cheating little bread machine directions.
BRIOCHE DOUGH
Plop into bread machine:
1/4 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 c. butter, cut into pieces
2 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1 package dry yeast
Set machine on "dough" option.


When dough is ready, take half of it and smush it out into a 4" x 12" rectangle on a floured surface.

SAUSAGE PART:

Now take
1 lb. ring of fully cooked Polish Kielbasa sausage
and cut it in half. You'll have two long hot dog-shaped pieces of meat. Put one of the halves in the middle of the dough you just smushed out.



Wrap dough around the sausage and pinch edges to seal. Place it seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with other half of dough and other half of sausage. Let it puff up for about 40 minutes or so (it won't be super puffy). Brush entire surface of both loaves with
EGG WASH:
1 egg white whisked with 1 t. water


Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, until brown.




Slice with a bread knife, and serve with mustard.
We had this with soup for dinner, but you can also serve as an appetizer.
And I really don't think anyone needs to know it came from a Christmas cookbook. Shhhhhhh.
Does anyone else love Susan Branch cookbooks?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

That sounds really good. I need to buy a bread machine one of these days. I have made sort of the same thing with crescent rolls, but I am positive that they do not taste the same as yours, with that yummy homemade bread.
Thanks for sharing.

January 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM  
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

Hubby will love these! I'll add them to the Super Bowl list!

January 18, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home