Saturday, March 14, 2015

Lindsey's Brandied Cranberries

What am I doing, making cranberry recipes in mid-March, you ask?
Cleaning out this.
 Which, just a couple months ago, looked like this.
We are getting there, people.  To quote Gladys Taber, "We feel the secret softening of winter as the deep freeze gets nearly empty." 
Way back in spring and summer, while putting up all those orange jams, peach butters, and herb pestos, we were feeling mighty virtuous.  Now, as it's time to clear out last year's abundance in readiness for this year's, the feeling is more one of over-saturation.  We froze too much tzatziki sauce, let's face it.  And the frozen dill pickle spears just were not such a hot idea.
 
 Now, as Margaret Roach, author of The Backyard Parables:  Lessons on Gardening, and Life, puts it, we are on the freezer diet, "when the garden manages to provide anyhow, despite prevailing conditions." And we are down to just a jar or two (or three) of tzatziki sauce.  The end is in sight.  (Check out Margaret Roach's blog, A Way to Garden, here.)
 
Fortunately, nestled way back on one of those shelves was a lovely bag of cranberries, purchased in November.  And tucked away in my files of Thanksgiving Recipes to Try was this terrific recipe for Brandied Cranberries from our friend Lindsey, who says it's her very favorite way to make cranberries.  "This recipe is very quick, produces only one dirty pan, and is extremely yummy over turkey or vanilla ice cream!"  I heartily verify its yumminess, as we had it last night over slices of pork tenderloin, accompanied by Kahuna's first flush of 2015 garden goodness, tender asparagus and itty baby potatoes.
 
LINDSEY'S BRANDIED CRANBERRIES
1 12-oz package cranberries (mine were frozen)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brandy
 
Place cranberries in microwave-safe 3-quart pan (a 9 x 13-inch glass pan works well, reports Lindsey).  Sprinkle sugar over cranberries; cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 12 minutes (that's right, 12 minutes).  Remove pan from microwave, stir mixture, and, while it's still hot, add brandy and mix well.
That's it.  The perfect sweet-tart combo, this is so good you will plan to buy extra cranberries next November just so you can chance upon them later and make this.
 

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Lynn!!!
Brandied Cranberries in March? Doesn't sound strange to me one bit, Lynn:) The cold weather seems to be stuck in limbo anyway. It may as well be November.

I'm down to my last jar of frozen strawberry jam and that's it! I didn't "put up" much. I never do.

I sure wouldn't mind a few frozen jars of tzatziki sauce. I'll have to check that recipe out.

I've been to Margaret Roach's blog often. I actually use to work at the same newspaper as her many moons ago.

I have a few bags of frozen cranberries stashed in the freezer. I bought way too many of them during the holidays. I just couldn't help myself, they freeze so well. I may just give Lindsey's Brandied Cranberries a try. I haven't been eating much ice cream these days but the thought of them over a mild poundcake has me all excited!

It sounds promising to hear there is harvesting going on in your neck of the woods. I'm so ready for planting season:)

Thanks so much for sharing, Lynn...It's always so nice to "see" you:)

March 14, 2015 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Farm Girl said...

Hello Lynn,
I think this sounds easy and wonderful. Do you store it in jars in the fridge? Or do you eat it all up. :) I always buy cranberries in the fall and use them until strawberries come in season. Which means I better get a move on as I have been hoarding them.
My pantry and freezer are almost empty, I couldn't believe how we went through everything I put up. I always think it is a nice feeling.
I hope all is well with you and your family.

March 15, 2015 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Mae Travels said...

I've been doing the same thing... though I've found some very nice things as I excavate.


best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

April 1, 2015 at 8:43 AM  
Anonymous Generic Actos said...

Great Post and Nice Article.Photo looking so good.I like it.Thanks for sharing.

April 3, 2015 at 11:53 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Farm Girl, we ate it all up :) but according to Lindsey's instructions, this will keep in the refrigerator for 12 months. I imagine keeping it in jars would be perfect. We are almost ready to defrost the big freezer beast. It is hard to use everything up!

April 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger ~ Nee ~ said...

Hi Lynn ,
Love cranberries , this recipes seems so easy .
Thanks for visiting my blog and glad to meet you . Come back and visit me anyone time you are welcome and I will be following and visiting you . Nee :)

Nee at Neesplace.blogspot.com

"Happy Easter"

April 4, 2015 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Lara said...

Nice way to utilize them.

September 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Jasmine said...

Nice fruity treat for a party

October 10, 2017 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home