Saturday, July 26, 2014

Lavender Sugar Cookies

My inspiration for today's bake-off was this book, Best Little Stories from the White House by C. Brian Kelly with Ingrid Smyer, which contained a sugar cookie recipe from '50s first lady, Mamie Eisenhower.
I am a sucker for books about the presidents, and even more so for ones with information about the first ladies.  Throw in a recipe or two, and I am yours.  Completely yours.
This book contained plenty about the first ladies, and also two recipes -- one for Ike's barbecue sauce, and the other for Mamie Eisenhower's sugar cookies.  Bingo.
(If you are likewise an aficionado of weird hybrid presidential recipes, you can find links to other favorite recipes of Dwight Eisenhower's here.) 
So this was my chance:  time to try out the lavender sugar that's been infusing itself on my kitchen counter these last couple weeks.  Would substituting out the regular sugar for lavender sugar make any difference in the cookies' taste?  Would it? 
Well hold your breath no longer, people.  The answer is . . .
No.
Not a bit.
Not one iota.
 
While the cookies were everything you'd want a sugar cookie to be -- dough easy to work with, finished cookies just the right amount of sweet and crunch (thank you, Mamie) -- I must report that you cannot taste the lavender.  At all.
Yet another burning scientific inquiry answered.  I soldier on.


Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Farm Girl said...

Well, I think it was a good experiment. You found something out. The cookies are very pretty though.
I love recipes like that from books I have collected like the Anne of Green Gables and the Little House Cookbook, I even have a very old one from fairy tales. I just love making recipes like that. I hope you are having a nice summer.

July 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Farm Girl, I love unexpected literary recipes, too. Some of the culinary mysteries have recipes at the back -- fun! I have been on the lookout at used bookstores for a cookbook by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (of Cross Creek fame) and also one by Gladys Taber, who wrote lots of homey books but apparently only one cookbook. So far I haven't found either, but I'm still looking! Enjoy your summer, too, and stay cool.

July 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM  
Blogger East Village Today said...

Mamie Eisenhower was probably the last of the June Cleaver First Ladies!

October 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

East Village, and I heard Mamie liked to stay in bed a lot. So maybe even the idea of her baking cookies is an illusion, who knows?!

October 13, 2014 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love to see this post, like the most
Lechuza Planters

October 30, 2014 at 11:14 PM  
Anonymous Jenna said...

Not one bit?

November 7, 2017 at 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Found these dream meaning said...

A new favorite treat in our house! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

October 15, 2021 at 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home