Thursday, March 27, 2014

Orange Souffles with Orange Sauce

Oh.
My.
Goodness.
These are amazing.
You simply must make these individual orange soufflés with orange sauce (recipe makes two), next time you get your hands on a few of these.
With all these oranges, I have been making jars and jars of freezer jam,  lots of juice to freeze, this chocolate-marmalade-gingerbread,
some orange poppyseed cookies, and now, these soufflés.
No kidding, my keyboard and mouse are sticky because of my zest (ha!) to share this with you. 
Seriously.  Mark this one down.  You have got to make these someday.
Recipe from a long ago-clipped magazine article --  if I had to guess, I'd say Bon Appetit.
MAKE THESE.

NOCKERLN (Individual Souffles with Orange Sauce)

(makes 2)
SAUCE
1 T. butter
3 T. sugar
1 t. cornstarch
1/4 c. fresh  orange juice
1 T. grated orange peel
1 t. fresh lemon juice

SOUFFLES
2 eggs, separated
pinch of cream of tartar
pinch of salt
3 T. sugar
1 T. flour
1 t. grated orange peel
powdered sugar (to garnish)

Make sauce:  In small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  In small bowl, mix together sugar and cornstarch.  Stir sugar/cornstarch mixture into butter.  Slowly whisk in orange juice and lemon juice and orange peel, and cook, stirring, over medium-ish heat until thickened, about five minutes.  Divide sauce evenly into two 4 x 6-inch oven-proof gratin dishes.

Make soufflés:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Separate eggs, putting whites in medium bowl and yolks in small bowl.  Get our your electric mixer and beat whites until foamy.  Add the cream of tartar and salt and beat a bit more, until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and keep beating until "stiff and glossy."  Set aside. Stir yolks with a fork "until lemon colored" (I just did this for 30 seconds or so).  Stir in the flour and peel until mixed (should be thick).    Gently fold the yolk mixture into the whites (use a spatula or large spoon; you don't want to beat this down, you are just trying to mix and add a little air in there with big swooping motions).  Spoon in mounds over sauce and bake until golden, about 14 minutes.  Sift powdered sugar over the top.

These are AMAZING.  Please do try them.  You will not be sorry.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Gloria @ Simply Gloria said...

What a delicious orange treat, Lynn! Looks very decadent!

March 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Juliana said...

OMG! These individual souflles look fabulous Lynn...I yet have to try to make souffle myself...like the citrus flavor and the sauce as well.
Awesome recipe...hope you are enjoying your week my dear :D

April 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM  
Blogger cheryle bryant said...

Happened by chance to your blog, lovely! I will be trying the souffle and if a success would like to use it on my blog. Today I posted a wonderful rhubarb pie recipe that is perfect every time. Love to pass on a good thing. Three years ago we traveled the USA camping, Northern CA was a favorite! "Cook'n by the Creek"

June 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM  
Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Lynn!
It seems like ages since I've been here. I guess it has been, lol... Soufflés and I just don't agree in the kitchen but I do love them sooooo....I really should try making them again after all, I'm all "grown" up now, lol...

Thanks so much for sharing, Lynn...Hope all is well in your corner of the world:)

June 11, 2014 at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home