Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Five Sneaky Little Healthful Steps that Even Diehard Foodies Can Live With

Michele at Fit Foodista blog is hosting a blog carnival on food, health, and wellness.  When I hear the word carnival, I think cotton candy and caramel apples and I am most definitely in.  Here's my contribution to the carnival: 

Five Sneaky Little Healthful Steps that Even Diehard Foodies Can Live With

1.  Don't drink soda, drink water.  Except with pizza.  You gotta have soda with pizza.

2.  Make your own Happy Frappies.  I don't know the exact calorie count of my homemade blended frappuccino, but I'll bet with skim milk it's less than half the 500-plus calorie count of some local coffee shops' offerings.

3.  Good bread without butter is actually quite tasty.  Really.

4.  Instead of joining the rest of the family in shoveling in yummy salty French fries at the drive-through, just take a deep whiff instead.  The smell is just as good as the taste.  Maybe better.  And no calories whatsoever.

5.  Find some form of exercise you love and schedule it regularly into your life.  It will become like brushing your teeth; you will automatically do it without even thinking of skipping.

Bonus tip:  Better one blissful bite of blueberry muffin that actually tastes good than a whole huge fiber-filled wad of muffin that tastes like particle board.  As the author of the book French Women Don't Get Fat says, "Fortunately, with good chocolate, you don't need, and should not want, pounds of it for pleasure.  A couple of choice pieces a day won't disable your budget or your weight maintenance program."

Amen?

Amen.

Have you got any healthful tips to share with those of us who love our food?

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

I love those tips! There is no way I could eat pizza and not have a soda, and a little chocolate can't hurt anyone . . . ;0) I can live with these!

February 15, 2011 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Great tips! Although I think I have to disagree with #4. ;)

February 15, 2011 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger The Bumbles said...

Oh I agree with these! And I practice most of them. I do have a chocolate issue though. It is so hard to stop at just a serving of mini Reese's PB cups.

February 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Joanne said...

Love these! I try to never drink my calories and I find that homemade is almost always better for you than not!

February 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger teresa said...

these are all very good tips, thanks!

February 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Faith said...

Excellent tips! Speaking from experience, I know you are right on with quality chocolate. ;)

February 16, 2011 at 5:45 PM  
Anonymous Laura Grace Weldon said...

So glad to find your blog Lynn. Now to get your book!

February 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Thanks, everyone, for stopping by. I like the idea of not drinking your calories, Joanne, but I have to draw the line at my Happy Frappies. Gotta have those. Oh yeah, and the soda with pizza. Laura, I'm glad to have found your blog, too. Such beautiful writing. I have asked my library to buy your book (Free Range Learning), which looks really interesting. Thanks for coming by and it's great to meet you.

February 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I developed Juvenile Diabetes in my 40s (very rare but probably a result of a virus) so I've spent a lot of time talking to nutritionists.

Without a doubt, the one thing they all agree with is how terrible sodas are for you. The amount of sugar (usually in the form of refined corn syrup) is just too much for the body to handle.

I must admit that I had McDonald's french fries recently for the first time in ages. They were so delicious, I wrote an entire blog post about them. But I hardly ever give in to temptation. :)

February 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Oh, I agree with you about soda and pizza! Even if mine has to be sugar free.

My daughter has five children so she has been either pregnant or nursing for years. She has to stay away from caffeine but HAS to have a cola with her pizza. It must be some kind of world known Truth?

Of course, she pays for it later with a baby who does not sleep.

February 18, 2011 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Alea Milham said...

Great post. I love healthy tips, especially sneaky ones! :) I agree it is worth it to enjoy a small amount of something truly delicious rather than a large amount of something that is just okay. I apply this to my grocery shopping as well - I buy fewer high quality items and then make sure I make full use of them.

February 19, 2011 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Love the tips! It's so hard to have a food blog and make all kinds of not so healthy food and still try to eat healthy!

Thanks for visiting my blog! Marshmallows are so simple to make! I have a simple recipe on my blog, give it a try sometime~you won't be disappointed! :)

February 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Hi Lynn,
I promise they are easy! Any tips? When you start mixing the marshmallow mixture, start out slow so it doesn't fling anywhere. Also, make sure you let it mix for the full 15 minutes until the marshmallows are really shiny (Otherwise they end up too sticky!). When you cut them, I used a metal pizza cutter and I got it wet with water before each cut, it made the marshmallows really easy. Have fun, and let me know how they turn out! :)

February 21, 2011 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Thanks so much for the marshmallow-making tips, Melissa. I will have to gather up my nerve one day soon and give them a try!

February 21, 2011 at 7:57 AM  
Blogger SAH in Suburbia said...

Fabulous. Pizza and soda - a must!!

February 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks for the compliment about my scrapbook layout!

Your tips are great, I need to remember to stick with them more. I am terrible about drinking too much diet soda now that I'm diabetic. It's hard because I need something other than water that's a "free" drink. But I've been worried about the artificial things I've been putting in my body and really cutting back.

I do wholeheartedly agree with making your own frappies. My husband makes me iced coffee all the time and it's great to have caffinee and sugar free treats that don't hurt the pocket book!

February 22, 2011 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Amen!
GREAT ideas! Yes, good bread - especially warm out of the bread maker is so good!
I also like the techniques in the cookbook Deceptively Delicious - sneaking healthy things I wouldn't normally eat into my regular favorites (like spinach puree in my pizza sauce!)

February 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home