Saturday, January 17, 2009

Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce

This one's for you, Smily.

GINGERBREAD

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cloves
1 egg
1 c. molasses
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. hot water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour an 8 x 8 inch pan. Set aside.

In medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.

In large bowl, beat egg, molasses, butter, and water with electric beaters until well mixed. Add in flour mixture and beat until smooth. Pour into pan and bake for 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into 9 squares.


LEMON SAUCE
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
1 c. water
1/4 c. butter
2 t. grated lemon peel
dash salt
1/4 c. lemon juice
In small saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Add water and stir, over high heat, until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens and turns transluscent. (This will take just a couple of minutes.) Remove from heat, stir in butter, lemon peel, salt, and lemon juice. Cool slightly, then serve over slices of gingerbread.




Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love gingerbread. I've never tried it with lemon sauce before. And I just happen to have a lemon handy. I'll try it!

January 17, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger threesidesofcrazy said...

Oh yum - I love both and they sound great together. I found your link over at Alice's.

January 18, 2009 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

This sounds fantastic!

January 18, 2009 at 7:20 AM  
Blogger Berji's domain said...

Ooh, I'm glad you found my blog b/c then I found yours and you have some yummy looking recipes!

January 18, 2009 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

My mom used to make something like this when I was little. I haven't thought about it in years. Thanks for the recipe.

January 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn! Love love gingerbread! I've never made lemon sauce but this looks easy so I'm getting the ingredients tomorrow since I also LOVE lemon anything! I love your site but I always leave starving!!!lol Have a great week - Sincerely, Jeannette

January 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Kim's Treasures said...

Hi Lynn~

I'm so glad you stopped by my blog today! Thank you so much for the message! It's so much fun meeting new people.

I have to tell you...I just love gingerbread with lemon sauce! I am going to have to try this particular recipe! I can't wait to check out more of your blog!

Kim

January 18, 2009 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Warm gingerbread with butter on top is one of my favorite childhood memories, but I just never think to make it. I may try this!

January 19, 2009 at 2:46 AM  
Blogger DarcyLee said...

This sounds so very good! Can't wait to try it. Have a wonderful week.

January 19, 2009 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger momstheword said...

I can't believe you wrote this book! That is so cool. I have it and I love it! I love the way you divide the sections into weeks for the whole year. That is so clever.

I love week 17 because I love organization. Week 7 is awesome too because we need to learn to say no if we want to manage our time. (I had to look the weeks up because I don't have the numbers memorized).

Thank you for your sweet comments. I'm so glad that I discovered your blog!

BTW, it looks yummy. I can see I'm going to gain weight just by drooling....

January 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger DarcyLee said...

Lynn,

You sure can link to my cookie recipe. I love sharing good things to eat!

January 20, 2009 at 5:52 AM  
Blogger Small House said...

If I were to make this, my family would wonder who I was, and probably take my temperature. And I'm going to do just that! Make Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce. And... I love rice pudding. Bad at making rice, but love the pudding. And chocolate chips on top? Who can beat that. I'm adding you to my favorites, I'll be back a lot. Have a great day!!!!

January 20, 2009 at 5:52 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Moms the word -- I'm so glad you've enjoyed Queen of the Castle! :) How fun! Thanks for coming by and leaving such a sweet comment.

And thanks to everyone else for your comments. Happy baking.

January 20, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home